Hebrew language resources – Language Links Database
Hebrew – is a West Semitic language of the Afroasiatic language family. Historically, it is regarded as the language of the Hebrews/Israelites and their ancestors, although the language was not referred to by the name Hebrew in the Tanakh. The earliest examples of written Paleo-Hebrew date from the 10th century BCE, in the form of primitive drawings, although “the question of the language used in this inscription remained unanswered, making it impossible to prove whether it was in fact Hebrew or another local language”.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 5.3 million as L1 (not all native) (1998), as L1 or L2 by all 7.4 million Israelis
Official language in: Israel
Recognised minority language in: Poland
Hebrew Grammar and Pronunciation
- FSI Language Courses The Hebrew Basic Course is designed to teach spoken and written modern Hebrew that is the ordinary, informal speech of educated native Israelis. It is not intended as a text for the study of the Old Testament or other Hebrew literature. One textbook (pdf) and 40 audio lessons (mp3).
- TeachMeHebrew.com - The mission of TeachMeHebrew.com is to help you become fluent in modern Israeli Hebrew. This site is especially for those who prefer to teach themselves, rather than take classes. We aim to provide large amounts of basic-through-advanced Hebrew/English bilingual texts + audio.
- Hebrew-language.com - Learn Hebrew Resources
- Ktzat-ivrit.ulpan.com - Learn Hebrew, one dose at a time
- Hebrew.ch - Fast-track Hebrew Course Thanks To Transliteration (with listing of verb roots and derived verbs)
- University of Texas - Modern Hebrew Lessons For Learners Of All Levels
- ZigZagWorld - Interactive Java applets to teach/reinforce vocabulary. Each applet introduces new Hebrew words as part of a game, activity, or story.
- Hebrew-verbs.co.il - Hebrew-Verbs uses a unique software to aid in learning Hebrew verbs and their conjugations. Whether a beginner or an advanced level Hebrew speaker, Hebrew-Verbs can help you learn Hebrew in a simple, structured way.
- Foundationstone.com.au - Has a free 17-lesson comprehensive Hebrew tutorial for English speakers
- ILoveLanguages - Hebrew/English Transliteration Alphabet
- Hebrew.ecott.ch - This is a catalogue site of resources for modern Hebrew
- Learn101 - Learn Hebrew, by going step by step. All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists.
- MyLanguages - Courses below adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, excercises.
- Hebrewpodcasts.com - Learn Hebrew and enrich your mind with self-study lessons of contemporary Hebrew. Each lesson has a short Hebrew dialog that’s explained and further practiced.
- Ulpan.net - What makes this site special is providing opportunity to learn Hebrew for free to everyone who has desire to learn.
- University of Minnesota - Hebrew Exercises
- Gloss.dliflc.edu - 193 lessons
- ILanguages - This site is designed to teach you and help you learn Hebrew for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer)
- Hello World - Lessons For Children. More than 600 free Hebrew games and activities.
- Verbix - Online Verb Conjugator
- HebrewSpeaker - Learn the whole Hebrew Alphabet starting from the beginning each month. Presented in a letter-of-the-day downloadable Calendar format.
- Linguanaut.com - If you want to learn Hebrew, then this is the right website for you. We offer free Hebrew (Ivrit) lessons online, from Phrases, Alphabet, Numbers, Adjectives, Words, Survival Terms, Vocabulary and Hebrew Translation used in Israel. Most of the lessons contain expressions used for the everyday life conversations, through them you can learn how to say specific sentences, so they might come handy if you memorize them.
Digitized Grammar Books
- Gendocs.ru - Modern Hebrew: grammar by Lewis Glinert (2005), 321 pages (pdf)
- Google Books - The renaissance of modern Hebrew and modern standard Arabic, parallels and differences in the revival of two Semitic languages, by Joshua Blau (1981)
- Google Books - The Grammar of Modern Hebrew by Lewis Glinert (2004)
- Google Books - Morphophonemics of Modern Hebrew (Routledge Revivals) by Naom Chomsky (2011)
- Google Books - A Reference Grammar of Modern Hebrew by Edna Amir Coffin,Shmuel Bolozky
- Google Books - Modern Hebrew: An Essential Grammar by Lewis Glinert (2005)
- Google Books - Ewald’s introductory Hebrew grammar by Heinrich Ewald,John Frederick Smith
- Google Books - Hebrew Made Easy by Robert Hernandez (2000)
- Darkwing.uoregon.edu - Vocabulary Lessons
- Ehebrew.org - Thematic Vocabulary Lists
- TeachMeHebrew.com - The 10 000 most common words, frequency list
- Learn-Hebrew-Phrases - Thematic Vocabulary With Audio
- In-hebrew.co.il - Learn Hebrew Phrases with Audio. A Lot Of Various Subjects.
- Internet Polyglot - English-Hebrew Vocabulary Lessons and Games
- Milingua.com - 100 Animated Fladhcards For Children
- Lang.hebraic.free.fr - Thematic Vocabulary (on the left)
- Dictionary.co.il - Thematic Vocabulary
- UniLang - Just Read Phrases! This is a phrasebook that consists out of nearly 200 phrases. We tried to use various grammar constructions and a lot of basic vocabulary in these phrases, making them an excellent means to practise a language and learning vocabulary by just reading phrases.
- Shorashon.free.fr - Shorashon© is a lexicon containing nearly 4000 Hebraic roots and has an innovating method of classification.
- TravLang - Vocabulary for Travelers
- My Jewish Games - A collection of five online games for learning Hebrew vocabulary and Jewish culture
- Field Support - Language Survival Kits
- Loecsen.com - Basic words and useful phrases you will need for your trip (with audio and pdf)
- Surface Languages - Learn phrases in the Hebrew language. These cover a wide variety of topics, including the numbers in Hebrew, days of the week, greetings and the months. The phrases have audio recorded by a native speaker. The Website also includes language games.
- Uebersetzung.at - Tongue Twisters
- MasterAnyLanguage - Flashcards For Learners Of All Levels
- Cram.com - Thousands of Hebrew Flashcards
- Quizlet.com - Thousands of Hebrew Flashcards (also from various University Courses)
Hebrew Reading Materials
- Foreigncy.org - Articles With Video (and vocab lists and flashcards). “Exposure to critical-language vocabulary used in news articles provides you a solid base of real-world vocabulary that empowers you to read news sources in their original form and will fuel your passion for foreign policy and language learning.”
- Globes.co.il - Online business newspaper from Israel. English and Hebrew versions available.
- ThePaperBoy - A List Of Hebrew Newspapers
- Abyznewslinks.com - A List Of Hebrew Newspapers
- Wikipedia - A List Of Newspapers in Israel
- LonWeb.com - Learn Hebrew With Parallel Texts
- Google News - Google News in Hebrew
- Odaha.com - The Little Prince in Hebrew
- Gutenberg - Over 10 Books in Hebrew
- ChildrensLibrary - 19 Books For Children
- Digital.cjh.org - Hebrew Children’s Books
- Google Books - Modern Hebrew Poetry: A Bilingual Anthology by Ruth Finer Mintz (1966)
- http://web.archive.org (Dictinary of Semitic Roots)
- Hebrewetymology.com - Etymological dictionary of the Hebrew language (in Hebrew) by Isaac Fried
- Archive.org- Anglo-Hebrew modern dictionary by Isaiah Raffalovitch (1926)
- Scribd.com - Comprehensive etymological dictionary of the Hebrew language by Ernest Klein (1987)
Hebrew Listening and Video Resources
PODCASTS / AUDIOBOOKS
- Hebrew Podcasts makes learning conversational Hebrew practical and enjoyable. Each lesson covers a topic with a Hebrew dialog that is explained in detail. Each lesson is enhanced by a lesson guide that provides further information. The guide includes a full transcript, translation, explanations, additional examples, and exercises. 10 lessons
- HebrewPod101 - Learn Hebrew fast, easy and at your own pace with audio podcasts and videocasts. 26 lessons.
- Learn Hebrew Pod – The first conversational Hebrew course by podcasts. Learn to speak conversational Hebrew the way it is spoken in Israel. 16 lessons.
- Hebrew Podcast – SurvivalPhrase
- Classicsinai.com - Free Jewish mp3 downloads on 26 all-star topics in Judaism. Jewish audio mp3s for the curious mind.
- Hebraico.pro.br - The Narrated Hebrew Bible
- ETeacher’s Modern Hebrew application offers 20 free Hebrew lessons recorded and taught by Shira Cohen Regev, one of eTeacher’s leading Hebrew teachers.
- Foundationstone.com.au - A free Windows program to help you learn Hebrew. Includes the alphabet, pronunciation, and vocabulary and grammar.
TV / VIDEO / MOVIES
- MyEasyTV - A List of TV Stations
- Imdb - Language Browser Related Pages Your IMDb guide to Hebrew language movies. Over 700 Movies.
- Reddit - A List of Hebrew Movies
- Rad.io - A List Of Over 15 Radio Stations
- MamaLisa - Kid Songs and Rhymes
Hebrew In Other Languages
- Milon.li - Wörterbuch Hebräisch-Deutsch
- Morim.com - Des mots de vocabulaire classés par thèmes
- Morim.com - Grammaire et syntaxe de l’hébreu moderne
- Scribd.com - L’hébreu sans peine: Hebrew course (1982)
- ArabDictionary - Hebrew-Arabic dictionary