Hmong language resources – Language Links Database
Hmong – or Mong , known as First Vernacular Chuanqiandian Miao in China, is a dialect continuum of the West Hmongic branch of the Miao languages, sometimes known as the Chuanqiandian Cluster, which is spoken by the Hmong people of Sichuan, Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, northern Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 4.0 million (1995–2009)
Native to: China, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, USA, and French Guiana.
Hmong Grammar and Pronunciation
- Hmonglessons.com - Hmong Lessons. Website requires registration. ” FREE MEMBERSHIP:
Access to first 15 lessons of WH Reading & Writing Course audio files
Access to first 5 Video lessons AND first 10 PDF transcripts of Vocabulary 101 course.
Access to first 5 Video lessons AND first 8 PDF transcripts of Speak Hmong 101 course.”
- Wikipedia - Grammar and Phonology
- Ferazelhosting.net - Grammar, Language Lesson and Dictionary (all in pdf)
- Escholarship.org - A course for the beginning student focusing on the White Hmong dialect. Includes lessons dealing with the sound system, family kinship, foods, the human body, clothing, animals, weather, time, activities, several units with stories and other listening materials, several reading units, and a pedagogical grammar.
Appendices include the keys to the exercises, translations, an audio tapescript, and a summary of the major differences between White and Green Hmong. Concludes with a bibliography and a glossary. Accompanied by an audiocassette. A scanned text of the book, without audiocassette, is available on the website.
- Archive.org - 30 lessons
- Archive.org - Hmong phrases, grammar patterns, vocabulary lessons, pronunciation guides, dictionary and more
- Hmongnet.org - A collection of links on books, films, radio, history, culture, language and more
- Google Sites - Hmong Lessons
Digitized Grammar Books
- Mizna.ru White Hmong Language Lessons, 133 paged (pdf)
- Wold.clld.org - Vocabulary List
- Quizlet.com - Hundreds of Hmong Flashcards
- Wiktionary - A 207-word frequency list
- Cram.com - Hundreds of Hmong Flashcards
Vocabulary-related (and digitized) E-books
- Archive.org English-Hmong Phrasebook with Useful Wordlist, 132 pages (pdf)
Hmong Reading Materials
- Hhotpeachpages.net - Information about domestic violence in Hmong
- Hmongarchives.org - “Where Collecting and Preserving Hmong Heritage Is A Thing of The Future.”
- Google Books White Hmong-English Dictionary (1979). Contains over 4,900 definitions. Includes a guide to pronunciation, stresses, and tone changes as well as useful phrases and proverbs.
Hmong Listening and Video Resources
PODCASTS / AUDIOBOOKS
- Forvo - Over 100 words pronounced by native speakers
TV / VIDEO / MOVIES
- Hmongtvnetwork.com - A TV Station
- JesusFilmMedia - A Film abut the Jesus in Hmong
- YouTube - A List of YT Video Lessons
- Tunein.com - A Hmong Radio Station
- Hhmongradioam690.com - A Radio Station
- Hmongworldradio.com - A Radio Station
- Tunein.com - A Radio Station
- Tunein.com - A Radio Station