Frisian language resources – Language Links Database
The Frisian languages are a closely related group of West Germanic languages, spoken by about 500,000 Frisian people, who live on the southern fringes of the North Sea in the Netherlands and Germany. The Frisian languages are the closest living language group to the Anglic languages; the two groups make up the Anglo-Frisian languages group and together with the Low German dialects these form the North Sea Germanic languages. However, modern English and Frisian are not mutually intelligible, nor are Frisian languages intelligible among themselves, due to independent linguistic innovations and foreign influences.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: about 500,000
Frisian Grammar, Pronunciation and Vocabulary
- Omniglot.com - language, alphabet and pronunciation
- https://www1.fa.knaw.nl/noardfrysk/spraaklear.html - North Frisian language, alphabet, pronunciation and many more
- TheSwissBay.ch - "Frisian Reference Grammar” Pieter Meijes Tiersma - PDF
- ResearchGate.com - "The First Grammar of Frisian” (1681) - PDF
- Yumpu.com - West Frisian phonology, contents and grammar - PDF
- Archive.org - Phonology & grammar of modern West Frisian; with phonetic texts and glossary
- Google Books - Studies in West Frisian Grammar: Selected Papers by Germen J. de Haan
- PolyglotClub.com - Western Frisian alphabet and pronunciation
- 101 Languages - frequency list, vocabulary, grammar and many more
Frisian Reading Materials
- TaalPortaal.org - A general introduction to Frisian
- LanguageandLaw.org - What is Frisian?
- Wiki Travel - West Frisian phrasebook
- www.tseadbruinja.nl - Information on the Frisian language and Frisian literature
- Google Books - Frisian Light Phrasebook
Frisian Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- OmropFryslan.nl - a tv staion online
- ILoveLanguages! YouTube Channel - The Sound of the Sylt North Frisian language (UDHR, Numbers, Greetings & Story)
- Langfocus YouTube Channel - FRISIAN - Sister Language(s) of English!
- YouTube - Learning West Frisian 1.7.b - Basic conversation (English subtitles)
- Streema.com - List of Friesland radio stations online
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.