Maltese language resources – Language Links Database
Maltese – is a Semitic language spoken by the Maltese people. It is the national language of Malta and the only Semitic official language of the European Union. Maltese is a Latinised variety of spoken historical Arabic through its descent from Siculo-Arabic, which developed as a Maghrebi Arabic dialect in the Emirate of Sicily between 831 and 1091. [...] Maltese is thus classified separately from the 30 varieties constituting the modern Arabic macrolanguage. Maltese is also distinguished from Arabic and other Semitic languages since its morphology has been deeply influenced by Romance languages, namely Italian and Sicilian.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 520,000 (2012)
Official language in: Malta, European Union
Maltese Grammar and Pronunciation
- ILanguages - is designed to teach you and help you learn Maltese for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer).
- Omniglot.com - language, alphabet and pronunciation
- MyLanguages.org - courses about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, exercises… to help you with your Maltese grammar.
- 101 Languages - vocabulary, phrases and pronunciation.
- Learn101 - “All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists, and everything else that you see below.”
Maltese Reading Materials
- OnlineNewspapers.com - List of Maltese newspapers online
- MyLanguages.org - “If you're trying to practice your Maltese Reading then the page below should help.”
Maltese Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- https://streema.com/tv/country/Malta - List of Maltese Tv Stations online
- LearnMaltese- YT Channel, “This channel is for beginning students who wish to learn to speak Maltese”
- Learn 101 - Maltese Audio Lessons
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.