Afrikaans language resources – Language Links Database
Native speakers: 7.2 million (2011 census), Total: 15–23 million
Official language in: South Africa
Afrikaans Grammar and Pronunciation
- ILanguages is designed to teach you and help you learn Afrikaans for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer).
- EasyAfrikaans.com - contains free online Afrikaans language courses. The lessons have audio recorded by native Afrikaans speakers. It will help you to start to learn the Afrikaans language. It is aimed at beginner level language learners and anyone who plans to visit South Africa. Included are basic grammar lessons, simple words and phrases in the Afrikaans language as well as links to resources and further information about Afrikaans.
- MyLanguages.org - courses about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, exercises… to help you with your Afrikaans grammar.
- 101 Languages - vocabulary, phrases and pronunciation.
- DigitalDialects - vocabulary and phrases games
- Cram.com - hundreds of flashcards
- MasterAnyLanguage - flashcards for learners of all levels
- Quizlet.com - hundreds of flashcards
- Afrikaans.free.fr - thematic vocabulary (on the left)
- SurfaceLanguages - learn phrases in the Afrikaans language online by selecting the phrases that you want to learn from the list. These cover a wide variety of topics.
Afrikaans Reading Materials
- ThePaperBoy - a list of over 10 newspapers
- DieBurger.com - Afrikaans newspaper
- Beeld.com - Afrikaans newspaper
- Republikein - Afrikaans newspaper
Afrikaans Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- Learn Afrikaans YT Channel – new lessons added regularly
- Steohenstone Channel – 11 Afrikaans lessons
- A list of YT video lessons
- Kruiskyk.tv - Kruiskyk TV is a Christian television station in South Africa.
- Rad.io - List of over 23 Afrikaans radio stations
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.