Finnish language resources – Language Links Database
Finnish – is the language spoken by the majority of the population in Finland and by ethnic Finns outside Finland. It is one of the two official languages of Finland and an official minority language in Sweden. In Sweden, both standard Finnish and Meänkieli, a Finnish dialect, are spoken. The Kven language, a dialect of Finnish, is spoken in Northern Norway.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 5.0 million (1993)
Official language in: Finland, European Union
Recognised as minority language in: Sweden, Russian Federation: Republic of Karelia
Finnish Grammar and Pronunciation
- FSI Languages Courses - The Conversational Finnish course provides transcripts of the dialogues with idiomatic English translations plus notes on structural pattern and explanations of essential points of grammar. The course provides a variety of exercises with instructions in English. 2 textbooks (pdf) and 28 lessons (mp3).
- The Finnish Teacher - “My aim is to have all grammar included on this one website when it’s finally finished plus helpful texts and exercises. I will also address the questions that I found myself asking while I was studying Finnish, and the questions I have frequently been asked by students when I was teaching. ” The website includes grammar for learners of all levels, as well as a forum.
- H105.it.helsinki.fi - Learn the basic vocabulary and grammar as well as various phrases.
- UniLang Finnish not only for Beginners
- Hei-finland.com - The Basics of The Language
- Finnish For Foreigners This introduction to Finnish language and Finland is divided into two parts
In the first part, you will be introduced to a number of basic words used in everyday life. In the second part, you will learn basic grammar, and you may try out the words you learned in the first part by reading the story. Both parts will give you an all-round presentation of Finnish culture, offering web links to various Finnish sites for you to explore.
- Cs.tut.fi - An introduction to the language, pronunciation and vocabulary
- Finnish For Busy People - Grammar and Vocabulary
- People.uta.fi - This site is dedicated to novice Finnish speakers everywhere. It includes basic vocabulary lists.
- MyLanguages - “Learn Finnish which is also called Suomi, check our courses about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, excercises… to help you with your grammar.
- IeLanguages - Finnish Tutorial by Josh Pirie
- Oneness - Finnish Lessons
- Uuno - Lessons, grammar and vocabulary
- 101 Languages “This site is designed as a starting point for people who want to learn more about the Finnish language. The links on the left contain English to Finnish translations as well as other useful information about the Finnish language.
After some translations into Finnish, the phonetic pronunciation is given in parentheses. This can be helpful as a guide to correct pronunciation, but it is advisable to learn the different individual sounds that comprise each word or sentence. The pronunciation section at the top can help with this.”
- Wikipedia - Elementary information about phonology, grammar and vocabulary
- Wikipedia - Colloquial Finnish
- Learn101 - “Learn by going step by step. All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists”
- MyLanguages - “Learn Finnish which is also called Suomi, check our courses about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, excercises… to help you with your Finnish grammar.
- Learn-finnish.net - Online Magazine For Learners of Finnish.
- Herkules.oulu.fi - ”FINNISH SOUND STRUCTURE – Phonetics, phonology, phonotactics and prosody, 153 pages (pdf)
- Users.jyu.fi - Phonology, Pronouns, Numerals, Verbs, Conjunctions, Adverbs, Cases, Case endings
- Yle.fi - A Vocabulary List
- Wiktionary - A Finnish frequency list from printed news. The 9996 most common lemmas of the language from the printed news.
- DigitalDialects - Materials on this site are at present are aimed at learners with beginner to lower-intermediate levels of Finnish language.
- Iteslj.org - English-Finnish Vocabulary Quizzes
- TravLang - Vocabulary for Travelers
- Cram.com - Hundreds of flashcards
- Quizlet.com - Hundreds of flashcards
- MasterAnyLanguage - Flashcards for learners of all levels
- Finnish.suomi.free.fr - Thematic Vocabulary (on the left)
- SurfaceLanguages - Extensive thematic vocabulary list
Finnish Reading Materials
- ThePaperBoy - A List Of Over 170 Newspapers in Finnish
- Abyznewslinks.com - A List Of Over 40 Newspapers in Finnish
- Wikipedia - A List Of Regional and National Newspapers
- Lonweb.org - Learn with parallel texts
- Gutenberg - A List of over 100 books in Finnish
- ChildrenLibrary - Books For Children In Finnish
- Google Translate
- http://www.dicts.info - Finnish Dictionary List
Finnish Listening and Video Resources
PODCASTS / AUDIOBOOKS
- Yle.fi - For listeners with some command of Finnish YLE Radio Finland offers daily broadcasts in “Special Finnish”. The five minute broadcasts cover items of current interest. To ease understanding, we simplify the language and slow down the delivery.
Some grammatical forms are not used at all. The level of Finnish used is planned to match the expected ability to understand Finnish shown by persons in Level Two Language Command (ofFinnish) as defined by the Council of Europe.”
TV / VIDEO / MOVIES
- Rad.io - A List of over 50 Radio Stations
Finnish in Other Languages
- Finlandese.net - Finnish For Italian Speakers