Flemish language resources – Language Links Database
Flemish – is a Low Franconian dialect cluster of the Dutch language. It is sometimes referred to as Flemish Dutch (Vlaams-Nederlands), Belgian Dutch (Belgisch-Nederlands [ˈbɛlɣis ˈneːdərlɑnts], or Southern Dutch (Zuid-Nederlands). Flemish is native to Flanders, a historical region in northern Belgium; it is spoken by Flemings, the dominant ethnic group of the region. Outside of Flanders, it is also spoken to some extent in French Flanders and the Dutch Zeelandic Flanders.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 6.5 million (2016)
Native to: Belgium, Netherlands, France
Flemish Grammar and Pronunciation
- ILanguages.org - this site is designed to teach you and help you learn Flemish for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer).
- MyLanguages.org - free courses below about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, exercises… to help you with your Flemish grammar.
- Wiki Books - alphabet and vocabulary
- PolyMath.org - “This page contains Flemish grammar lessons. As you can see below, we have several grammar topics that are considered essential in learning Flemish.”
- Omniglot.com - language, alphabet and pronunciation
Flemish Reading Materials
- MyLanguages.org - “Trying to find some Flemish phrases? Below we have listed many useful expressions including: Greeting Phrases | Farewell Expressions | Holidays and Wishes | How to Introduce Yourself | Romance and Love Phrases | Solving a Misunderstanding | Asking for Directions | Emergency Survival Phrases | Hotel Restaurant Travel Phrases | Daily Expressions | Cuss Words (Polite) | Writing a Letter | Short Expressions and words”
- Omniglot.com - Useful phrases in West Flemish
- LinguaNaut.com - “This page contains a table including the following: Flemish phrases, expressions and words in Flemish, conversation and idioms, Flemish greetings, and survival phrases. It also helps if you simply want to know what to say when chatting in Flemish!”
- Standaard.be - a newspaper online
- MyLanguages.org - If you're trying to practice your Flemish Reading then the page below should help.
- GoodReads.com - List of Flemish Books
Flemish Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- Vrt.be - tv station online
- Flemish for Dummies - YT Channel “Learn Dutch with a Flemish accent in our Flemish For Dummies Speed Course videos!”
- ILoveLanguages! - The Sound of the Belgian Dutch dialect (Numbers, Greetings, Words & Sample Text)
- Dutch&Go with Nout - "In this video, I'll show you how you pronounce the letters of the alphabet in Belgium, so in the variation of the Dutch language called "Flemish". I will also give you some specific tips to train the correct pronunciation of certain vowels and consonants."
- Coffee Break Languages - One Minute Flemish Playlist Coffee Break Languages
- Radio.net - List of Flemish radio stations online
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.