Kazakh language resources – Language Links Database
Kazakh – (natively Qazaqşa, Қазақша, Қазақтілі, Qazaq tili, قازاق ٴتىلى; pronounced [qɑˈzɑq tɘˈlɘ]) is a Turkic language belonging to the Kipchak (or Northwestern Turkic) branch, closely related to Nogai, and especially Karakalpak. Kazakh is an agglutinative language, and it employs vowel harmony.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 11 million (2007)
Official language in: Kazakhstan, Russia: Altai Republic
Kazakh Grammar and Pronunciation
- Transliteration.kpr.eu Kazakh Cyrillic – Arabic – Latin converter
- Cesty.in - Transcription of most Cyrillic variant into Latin
- Learn101 - “All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists.
- University of Arizona - University of Arizona offers three courses: beginning, intermediate and advanced Kazakh
- Omniglot - Kazakh Alphabets
- MyLanguages - Kazakh Audio Lessons
- University of Wisconsin - The CAILS lessons are content-based, focusing on topics related to Uzbek and Kazak history, politics, religion, culture, education, economics, language, and social issues.
The lessons are designed around excerpts from videotaped interviews conducted by CAILS Associate Director Talant Mawkanuli in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and the U.S. with prominent scholars, government officials, politicians, students, and leaders in business.
- ILanguages - This site is designed to teach you and help you learn Kazakh for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer)
Digitized Grammar Books
- Eric.ed.gov Kazakh Language Course for Peace Corps Volunteers in Kazakhstan - It consists of an introductory chapter and a series of 10 theme-based competency-based language lessons.
The introduction contains background information on the language, its alphabet, the Kazakh people, Kazakh phonology and morphology, some basic differences between Kazakh and English, and notes on terms of address.
Each lesson lists the targeted language competencies, targeted grammatical structures, brief dialogues, vocabulary list, cultural notes, and a number of exercises in sentence completion, pattern drill, and translation.
- Eric.ed.gov Kazakh: Language Competencies for Peace Corps Volunteers in Kazakhstan. It consists of language and culture lessons on 13 topics: personal identification; classroom communication; conversation with a host counterpart or family; general communication; food; money; transportation; getting and giving directions; shopping at a bazaar; reception by a host family; workplace language; medical and health issues; and interaction with officials (1992). 159 pages (pdf).
- Scribd.com Entire Kazakh Language Manual (2009)
- Google Books Colloquial Kazakh – The Complete Course For Beginners by Zaure Batayeva (2012)
- FieldSupport - Language Survival Kits
- Cram.com - Hundreds of Flashcards
- Quizlet.com - Hundreds of Flashcard
- Lang.kazakh.free.fr - Thematic vocabulary (on the left)
- Kazakhadoptivefamilies.com - Words and Phrases. Also available in pdf format.
- Leneshmidt.com - Online English, Kazakh and Russian Glossary with over over 455,836 terms, phrases and words
- Leneshmidt.com - The audio phrasebook which offers written and audio pronunciation of common terms in English, Kazakh and Russian
- Prosites-kazakhembus.com - Say it in Kazakh (pdf version here, 14 pages)
- TripAdvisor - Important Phrases
- Uebersetzung.at - Tongue Twisters
Vocabulary-related (and digitized) E-books
- Google Books Kazakh vocabulary for English speakers – 7000 words by Andrey Taranov (2013)
Kazakh Reading Materials
- Abyznewslinks.com - A List of Kazakh Newspapers
- Wikipedia - A List of Kazakh Newspapers
- Wikipedia - Kazakh Version of Wikipedia
- Google Books Kazakh-English dictionary by Boris Nikolayevich Shnitnikov (1966)
Kazakh Listening and Video Resources
PODCASTS / AUDIOBOOKS
- Cadensa.bl.uk Kazakh language recordings – British Library
- Forvo Over 1800 words recorded by native speakers
TV / VIDEO / MOVIES
- Kazakh-tv.kz - A TV Station
- YouTube - A List of YT Video Lessons
- Khabar.kz - A TV Station
- SquidTV.net - A List of TV Stations
- MamaLisa - Kid Songs and Rhymes