Chinese Mandarin language resources – Language Links Database
Mandarin – is a group of related varieties of Chinese spoken across most of the northern and southwestern China. Because most Mandarin dialects are found in the north, the group is also referred to as the “northern dialect(s)”. When the Mandarin group is taken as one language, as is often done in academic literature, it has more native speakers (nearly a billion) than any other language.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 960 million (2010)
Native to: Most of northern and southwestern China
Mandarin Grammar and Pronunciation
- Open.edu - this is introductory material, and was chosen to be easily accessible for those with some basic knowledge of Chinese. This unit concentrates on Mandarin Chinese as a tool for communication, but also provides some insights into Chinese society and culture.
- BBC - a lively introduction to Mandarin Chinese in 10 short parts with video clips from the Real Chinese TV series
- University of Cambridge - this is a web-application developed by the University of Cambridge Language Centre for basic level students of Chinese. It focuses on listening and reading skill but it also includes many activities that help learners prepare for speaking and writing.
- University of Cambridge - this is a web-application developed by the University of Cambridge Language Centre for intermediate level students of Chinese. The material is function-based and presented through nine themes, each based on 3 or 4 audio dialogues.
- FSI Language Courses This course is designed to give a practical command of spoken Standard Chinese. Nine situational modules form the core of the course. Each core module consists of tapes, a student textbook, and a workbook. In addition to the core modules, there is a resource module and eight optional modules.
- Over 100 Mandarin Lessons
- Csulb.edu - conversational Mandarin
- Minmm.com - learn how to read, write and speak Chinese
- Chinese Tools - 40 online lessons with audio, including reading, speaking, writing, modern vocabulary, grammar, calligraphy, examples and exercices. All texts and dialogs in mp3 format for download.
- ZapChinese - learn Chinese Characters (with Video!), phrases (with audio), vocabulary. The website also includes Mandarine Lessons (with Audio!) and Business Mandarin
- Wikibooks - a list of on-line books on Mandarin Chinese
- HelloMandarin.com “I Love Chinese is a free online magazine to help you to learn Chinese online, including easy Chinese lesson, Chinese pronunciation practice, business Chinese, Chinese character, Chinese grammar, reading comprehension, Chinese conversation and pod cast.
You also can know more about Chinese news and culture, business opportunities, internship and job opportunities in China, info about Travel in China. Learn Chinese online magazine is very good way to know more about China and Beijing Olympic Games.”
- Worldlearnerchinese.com - Basic Chinese, Intermediate Chinese, Chinese Corner. Survival Phrases, Vocabulary Notebook
- Clavisinica.com - a collection of mini-essays with mp3 audio for students of Chinese language and culture. All of the selections are written by savvy young Beijingers and are read in their own voices. Each piece offers a perspective on modern life in Beijing you won’t find in a Chinese language textbook or the China Daily.
- Learn101 - all the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists.
- My Languages Language Learning Games
- University Of Iowa 300 Lessons To Practise Your Reading For Students Of All Levels
- Web.Archive.org - comprehensive tone comparison charts for 523 Mandarin dialects. (Compiled by James Campbell) – Internet Archive mirror
- Elanguageschool.net Words and Phrases, How to Write Chinese Characters, Videos
- Rci.rutgers.edu Basic Chinese Grammar – A Review in Slides
- Learningchineseonline.net - General Introduction, Online Schools, Pronunciation, Conversation, Characters, Grammar, Reading, Listening, Dictionaries, Testing, Learning Materials, Chinese programs, Chinese Schools, Search Database, Forums, Tools for Teachers, Tools for mobile learning
- MandarinTools - “These pages hope to provide tools to assist people in learning and using the beautiful Chinese language. From the novice Chinese language student to the advanced programmer, I hope there is something here for everyone. Rather than being a Chinese language course, it provides tools to people who are already studying and using Chinese.”
- Resources.allsetlearning.com - your practical, free, comprehensive online resource for Chinese grammar. 1,674 articles and growing! The lessons will take you from introductory to advanced level.
- LanguageGuide - Practice Mandarin vocabulary. Within each category, place your cursor over an image to hear it pronounced aloud.
- Chinese-Lessons.com - Grammar, vocaulary and audio
- Chinese-Outpost - Pronunciation, Characters, Grammar, Dictionary, Chinese for Children, More Free Learning Resources
- Mychineselessons.com - complete self-study Chinese language courseware available for free
- Chineselearningcenter.com - lessons, vocabulary, reading practice
- Learnchineseez.com - “My free online Chinese lessons use a progressive approach where every new phrase introduced builds upon the vocabulary already covered.
This system continually reinforces your knowledge and greatly accelerates memorization. Furthermore, while I have intentionally chosen vocabulary that will be immediately useful for casual travel needs, the material is presented in a manner that simultaneously provides you with a strong foundation for advanced conversational skills.” The website includes tips, 4000 traditional Chinese characters and links to other Mandarin resources
- Zhongwenred.com - one in a three-part series of free Mandarin Chinese online courses
- Mandarin Pronunciation Guide
- Mandarin Lessons and Vocabulary
- Chineseandbeyond.com - Here you can learn Chinese (Mandarin) from scratch with solid foundation starting from First Grade of Elementary School like children in China, even you are an adult. This includes but not limited to Pinyin, everyday words, articles, poems, exercises from elementary school in China.
- 123speakchinese.com - lessons from beginner to advanced level step by step
- Chinesegrammar.info - Complete Chinese Grammar
- Linguanaut.com We offer free Chinese (Mandarin) lessons online, from Phrases, Alphabet, Numbers, Adjectives, Words, Survival Terms, Vocabulary and Chinese Translation used in China.
- HillsLearning - Learning Chinese Resources
- ILanguages - this site is designed to teach you and help you learn Mandarin for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer).
- Chinesetools.eu - “Free online Asian and Chinese tools to learn mandarin or just have fun : chinese dictionary, chinese tattoo, calligraphy, zodiac, chinese name, Bible, chinese converters, the weather in China, currency converter, etc.“
- Ctcfl.ox.ac.uk “This supplementary Chinese course of 22 lessons in simplified characters at elementary-intermediate level is suitable for students who have already learned Chinese for at least 3 months. The course has been designed to supplement classroom teaching of Chinese, but can stand alone for use by students studying independently.
It breaks new ground with its comprehensive use of multimedia materials, including video and audio files, interactive character writing exercises, interactive grammar drills, multiple choice vocabulary tests, and indexes for grammar and vocabulary. A standard multimedia plug-in is required to allow you to make full use of the multimedia elements.”
- Internet Polyglot - vocabulary lessons
- Chinese.travel-way.net - Chinese Phrases for Travelers
- Digital Games - a textbook (pdf) and 12 audio lessons (mp3)
- FieldSupport - language survival kits
Mandarin Reading Materials
- Gutenberg.org - a list of over 50 e-books in Mandarin
- The Paper Boy - a list of over 25 newspapers
- Abyznewslinks.com - a list of over 60 newspapers
- Wikipedia - a list of over regional and national newspapers
- Bibleateway - the entire Bible in Mandarin
- Google Translate
- http://www.kanjinetworks.com - Kanji Character Dictionary
- http://moosenose.com - Spealing Chinese-English Dictionary
Mandarin Listening and Video Resources
TV / VIDEO / MOVIES
- A YT Channel To Teach You Mandarin
- Sugoideas.com - Chinese Dramas
- MyEasyTv - a list of over 25 stations
- Mandarin Chinese Pinyin Pronunciation (Better Chinese)
- A List of Mandarin YT Lessons
PODCASTS / AUDIOBOOKS
- KidsChinesePodcast “Kids Chinese Podcast is designed for kids, teenagers and adults to learn Mandarin Chinese. This Chinese course helps you to learn Chinese listening and speaking via podcast/audio, and Chinese reading and writing via podcast lesson transcript, exercise worksheet, online exercises and quizzes.
Lessons’ topics are designed using practical dialogues starting with the topics on kids’ daily life in the United States while you receive systematic training on Chinese listening, speaking, reading and writing. “
- Academics.wellesley.edu Beginning Chinese – Listening Comprehension - 18 lessons
- A Mandarin Podcast – 46 Lessons
- Audio Treasure Chinese Bible
- Beginning Chinese by Seton Hall University - 27 lessons
- Beginning Chinese Reader by Seton Hall University - 17 lessons
- Intermediate Chinese by Seton Hall University - 40 lessons
- Intermediate Chinese Reader by Seton Hall University - 28 Lessons
- Advanced Chinese by Seton Hall University - 29 lessons
- Advanced Chinese Reader by Seton Hall University - 25 lessons
- Mandarin Chinese Lessons with Serge Melnyk - 107 lessons
- Learn Chinese & Culture at iMandarinPod.com - 20 lessons
- Mandarin Chinese – Radicals by Emory College Language Center, Podcast created by Yu Li, 41 lessons
- One Minute Mandarin By Radio Lingua Network - 15 lessons
- ITunes - the tracks presented here are designed to give you a taste of Mandarin Chinese language and culture.
- Podcasts in Mandarin
- Podcasts in Mandarin
- Wikipedia - a list of over 60 radio stations
- Mandarinsegments.blogspot.com - blog about learning Mandarin