Swahili language resources – Language Links Database
Swahili – also known by its native name Kiswahili, is a Bantu language and the native language of the Swahili people. It is a lingua franca of the African Great Lakes region and other parts of East and Southern Africa, including Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, some parts of Malawi, Somalia, Zambia, Mozambique, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: Estimates range from 2 million (2003) to 18 million (2012)
L2 speakers: 90 million (1991–2015)
Official language in: Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda
Swahili Grammar and Pronunciation
- MyLanguages.org - free courses below about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, exercises… to help you with your Swahili grammar.
- Learn 101 - “All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists, and everything else that you see below.”
- ILanguages - this site is designed to teach you and help you learn Swahili for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer).
- Wikibooks - alphabet and vocabulary
- 101 Languages - frequency list, vocabulary, grammar and many more
Swahili Reading Materials
- https://www.bbc.com/swahili - a newspaper online
- https://www.mwananchi.co.tz/ - a newspaper online
- https://habarileo.co.tz/ - a newspaper online
- http://mylanguages.org/swahili_reading.php - If you're trying to practice your Swahili Reading then the page below should help
- https://www.swahilipod101.com/lesson-library/swahili-reading-comprehension-for-beginners/ - Swahili reading comprehension for beginners
Swahili Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- SwahiliPod101 - a YouTube channel
- https://www.youtube.com/user/kulmansam - a YouTube channel
- Learn Swahili With Linguaboost - a podcast. “Each lesson contains useful everyday phrases related to a specific topic. You’ll learn the language in context, not just isolated words. All material is translated and spoken by native speakers.”
- SwahiliPod101 Podcast - a podcast. “Whether you are student or a seasoned speaker, our lessons offer something for everyone. We incorporate culture and current issues into each episode to give the most informative, both linguistically and culturally, podcasts possible.”
- SwahiliMedia - “East African Youtube Channel For Sports, Gossips As Well As Politics News Owned By SWAHILI.”
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.