Tongan language resources – Language Links Database
Tongan - is an Austronesian language of the Polynesian branch spoken in Tonga. It has around 187,000 speakers and is a national language of Tonga. It is a VSO (verb–subject–object) language.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 187,000
Official language in: Tonga
Tongan Grammar and Pronunciation
- Leats Learn Tongan - Pronunciation of Tongan alphabet with audio files attached
- https://scholarworks.wm.edu/ - “The Syntax and Semantics of Tongan Noun Phrases” - PDF
- https://nla.gov.au/ - “Grammar of the Tongan Language” by John Douglas Whitcombe
- Peace Corps - Introduction to the Tongan language by Peace Corps - PDF
- Omniglot.com - Language, alphabet and pronunciation
- Forvo.com - Tongan pronunciation dictionary
Tongan Reading Materials
- Matangi Tonga - a newspaper online
- Kaniva Tonga - a newspaper online
- Unilang.org - Tonga for Begginers: 7 Lessons on Grammar, Vocabulary, Greetings and many more!
Tongan Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- TV Tonga - tv station online
- Pacific Learners YouTube - Tongan Basic Words and Phrases
- Language Beat YouTube - Learn Tongan playlist
- https://streema.com/ - list of Tonga radio stations online
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.