Xhosa language resources – Language Links Database
Xhosa is part of the branch of Nguni languages known as Zunda languages, which also include Zulu, Southern Ndebele and Northern Ndebele. Zunda languages effectively form a dialect continuum of variously mutually intelligible varieties.
Xhosa is, to some extent, mutually intelligible with Zulu and Northern Ndebele, and other Nguni languages to a lesser extent. Nguni languages are, in turn, part of the much larger group of Bantu languages.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 8.2 million (2020 March 08)
Official language in: South Africa, Zimbabwe
Xhosa Grammar and Pronunciation
- learn101.org - “All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists, and everything else that you see below.”
- ilanguages.org - this site is designed to teach you and help you learn Xhosa for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer)
- 101languages - frequency list, vocabulary, grammar and many more
- IsXhosa - Pronunciation: Vowels, consonants, etc.
- salanguages.com - general words and phrases
Xhosa Reading Materials
www0.sun.ac.za - Library of Xhosa articles online
IBHAYIBHILE: isiXhosa Bible - For those of you who are familiar with the Bible, religious or not, this is probably the most accessible and inexpensive Xhosa text to improve your reading ability
Xhosa Listening and Video Resources
onlineradiobox.com - radio station online (sport, news, entertainment) radio.net - radio station online UWFM Podcasts - Good for listening practice YouTube channel Molo Market - Various introductory / explanatory videos for Xhosa (pronunciation, clicks etc)