Amharic language resources – Language Links Database
Amharic – is a Semitic language spoken in Ethiopia. It is the second-most spoken Semitic language in the world, after Arabic, and the official working language of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. Thus, it has official status and is used nationwide. Amharic is also the official or working language of several of the states within the federal system. It has been the working language of government, the military, and the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church throughout medieval and modern times.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 25 million (2007)
Official language in: Ethiopia
Amharic Grammar and Pronunciation
- FSI Language Courses - The Amharic Basic Course presents lessons in dialogues, drills, exercises, and narratives. It includes samples of speech, explanations of basic language structures, and a variety of practical exercises.
- ILanguages - this site is designed to teach you and help you learn Amharic for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer)
- An Amharic Reference Grammar
- Mereja.com - alphabet, punctuation, numerals
- Wiki - grammar and writing system
- Learn101 - grammar, phrases, vocabulary, exams, audio, translation
- Omniglot - writing system
- Internet Polyglot - Amharic Lessons and Games
- AdamYoung1997 - Amharic Lessons
- Easy Ethiopia Travel - common words and phrases
Amharic Reading Materials
Amharic Listening and Video Resources
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.