Ancient Egyptian language resources – Language Links Database
Egyptian – is the oldest known language of Egypt and a branch of the Afroasiatic language family. Written records of the Egyptian language have been dated from about 3400 BC, making it one of the oldest recorded languages known, along with Sumerian. It was spoken until the late 17th century AD in the form of Coptic. The national language of modern-day Egypt is Egyptian Arabic, which gradually replaced Coptic as the language of daily life in the centuries after the Muslim conquest of Egypt.
More information: Wikipedia
Egyptian Grammar and Pronunciation
- Ancient Egyptian Thesaurus (in German)
- http://aaew.bbaw.de - “Strukturen und Transformationen des Wortschatzes der ägyptischen Sprache. Text- und Wissenskultur im Alten Ägypten” – “Structures and transformations of the vocabulary of the Egyptian language. Text and knowledge culture in Ancient Egypt” (in German), various Ancient Egyptian resources"
- Wikipedia - phonology and grammar
- Fitz Museum - a downloadable version of “Beinlich List” – The handlist of Ancient Egyptian words known to Egyptologists as the “Beinlich Wordlist” was announced by Horst Beinlich and Friedhelm Hoffmann in Göttinger Miszellen 140 (1994), 101-3. The raw data of the Wordlist is simply the Egyptian word in transliteration, a German translation, and brief references to the Wörterbuch or more recent publications. It is everyone’s wish that the authors’ hope of translations of the wordlist into other languages might come about.
- Friesian.com - The Pronunciation of Ancient Egyptian
- univie.ac.at - The Egyptian Connection: Egyptian and The Semitic Languages, 35 pages (pdf)
- Friesian.com - Hieroglyphics and Egyptian Symbols. This site provides an informative and illustrative approach to hieroglphics an ancient form of writing used by the Egyptians.
- AncientEgyptOnline - a fantastic site dedicated to the culture, language, religion and history of ancient Egypt
- EgyptianNameTranslator - get your name in Egyptian
- Virtual Secrets translate English Into Egyptian Hieroglyphics in real-time, learn the history and get flashcards
- Ancient-Egypt.org - the Ancient Egypt Site is an interactive book about the history, language, monuments and culture of Ancient Egypt. It can easily be accessed by topic or by keyword.
A lengthy list of books for your further reading, a list of websites, addresses of places where you can study this magnificent pharaonic culture, an overview of recent archaeological finds in Egypt and a list of movies about Ancient Egypt, complete this book.
Egyptian Listening and Video Resources
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.