Dholuo language resources – Language Links Database
The Dholuo - is a dialect of the Luo group of Nilotic languages, spoken by about 4.2 million Luo people of Kenya and Tanzania, who occupy parts of the eastern shore of Lake Victoria and areas to the south. It is used for broadcasts on KBC (Kenya Broadcasting Corporation, formerly the Voice of Kenya).Dholuo is mutually intelligible with Alur, Lango, Acholi and Adhola of Uganda. Dholuo and the aforementioned Uganda languages are all linguistically related to Jur chol of South Sudan and Anuak of Ethiopia due to common ethnic origins of the larger Luo peoples who speak Luo languages.
More information: Wikipedia
Native to: Kenya, Tanzania
Native speakers: 4.2 million (2009 census)
Dholuo Grammar and Pronunciation
- MustGo.com - Structure, writing & alphabet
- Omniglot.com - Alphabet, pronunciation & language
- http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/ - Dholuo Grammar for Beginners - PDF
- http://dholuo.weebly.com/ - Pronunciation, Verbs, Pronouns and many more!
- http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/ - “Dholuo Grammar” - PDF “This is an integrated grammar book of Dholuo language, with explanations in English.”
Dholuo Reading Materials
- https://owlcation.com/ - “The Luo Language of Kenya: Basic Vocabulary and Conversation”
- Quizlet.com - Dholuo Phrases Flashcards
- Omniglot.com - Useful phrases in Dholuo
- Lingref.com - “English Words and Phrases in Dholuo-English Codeswitching”
Dholuo Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- https://www.newvision.co.ug/ - tv station online
- YouTube - Luo English Dictionary YouTube Channel - “An exciting language learning platform. Let us learn the Luo language which is the language spoken by the Luo people of Eastern Africa. The Luo language in this channel is mainly from Kenya”
- YouTube - Dholuo Greetings
- https://globalrecordings.net/ - Bible audio recordings available in Dholuo
- https://radio.or.ke/- radio station online
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.