Farsi language resources – Language Links Database
Persian – or fārsi is the predominate modern version of Old Persian, a southwestern Iranian language within the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European languages. It is primarily spoken in Iran, and as a different dialect in Afghanistan (officially known as Dari since 1958 for political reasons), and Tajikistan (officially known as Tajiki Persian since the Soviet era for political reasons), and some other regions which historically came under Persian influence.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 110 million total speakers
Official language in: Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan
Farsi Grammar and Pronunciation
- EasyPersian - “Easy Persian website offers online lessons in listening, speaking, reading, and writing Persian or Farsi as spoken in Iran.”
- Aspirantum -
Everything about the Persian alphabet
- Shahriar.tripod.com - Farsi / Persian Language Tutorial
- Learn101 - All the lessons contain audio and are all offered for free. We will learn the alphabet together. We will also review some simple grammar rules, practice common phrases, and we will have fun memorizing many important vocabulary lists
- MyLanguages - “Courses adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, excercises… to help you with your Farsi grammar.
- Linguanaut - “We offer free Farsi (Persian) lessons online, from Phrases, Alphabet, Numbers, Adjectives, Words, Survival Terms, Vocabulary and Farsi Translation used in Iran. Most of the lessons contain expressions used for the everyday life conversations, through them you can learn how to say specific sentences, so they might come handy if you memorize them.”
- Farhangsara.com - Farsi Lessons
- Nyu.edu This website is designed to provide students with a simple tutorial for learning Persian. Regardless of your purpose, you will be able to find extra assistance to practice your conversation, listening, reading, and grammar skills.
For your convenience, materials are divided into five levels of elementary to advanced. You will have free access to Persian-English and English-Persian dictionaries that will direct you in pursuing your objectives.
- Persiandee.com “PersianDee is a 100% free website that allows you to:
1. Learn the Persian alphabet, which also enables you to read Arabic, Urdu, Kurdish, etc.
2. Study more than 30 lessons on Persian grammar!
3. Enjoy the interactive lessons associated with each grammar lesson!
4. Test what you have learned after each lesson!
5. Learn colloquial Persian, as it is spoken in Tehran!
6. Gain access to pictorial vocabulary lessons!
7. Read and listen to Persian texts from easy to difficult and check their translations!
8. Listen to every Persian phrase you encounter in any of the sections!
- Jahanshiri.ir - Farsi Grammar
- Gloss.dliflc.edu - 369 Farsi Lessons
- Gooya.co.uk - a website grouping list to all kinds of Farsi materials and resources
- ILanguages - This site is designed to teach you and help you learn Farsi for free through vocabulary, phrases, grammar and flashcards (vocabulary trainer)
- HelloWorld - World Languages For Children. “More than 600 FREE Farsi games and activities. All of the activities HEAR OVER 6 THOUSAND words!
- Wikiotics - Farsi Lessons
- University of Texas - “The University of Texas at Austin is offering this free, web-based supplemental resource as a service to teachers and students of Persian everywhere, whether they work formally or informally, inside or outside of the classroom, in groups or individually.
- AngelFire - Persian For Beginners
- LiveMocha - Learn Farsi for free with online lessons (requires registration)
- Wte.dliflc.edu - 58 Farsi Lessons
- Princeton - “Lessons, Readings and Dialogues for Persian Language at Princeton University.”
- Spiral - A List of Resources For Learning Farsi
- Wikiversity - “Persian 1” is a course in the Persian Department. In this Beginner’s course, students are introduced to simple vocabulary, how to structure a Persian sentence and some basic phrases for a simple conversation.
Digitized Grammar Books
- Eric.ed.gov Persian Basic Course: Units 1-12, 397 pages (pdf) - “This basic course in Persian concentrates on the spoken language, illustrated by conversation based on everyday situations.
- Eric.edu.gov Conversational Farsi, 134 pages (pdf)
- Eric.edu.gov Introductory Persian, 392 pages (pdf)
- Eric.edu.gov Farsi (Persian) Language and Culture, 516 pages (pdf)
- Eric.edu.gov Farsi (Persian) Basic Course: Volume I, Lesson 1-18., 188 pages (pdf)
- Archive.org Higher Persian Grammar
- Eric.edu.gov Persian: 12 Week Course. Volume 6: Dictionary, 172 pages (pdf)
- Eric.edu.gov Persian: Basic Course. A Guide to Persian Reading and Writing, 78 pages (pdf)
- Eric.edu.gov Persian Basic Course: Skits and Supplementary Reader, 85 pages (pdf)
- LangFarsi - A Thematic Vocabulary (on the left)
- TravLang - A Vocabulary For Travelers
- Linguanaut “This page contains a table including the following: phrases, expressions and words, conversation and idioms, greetings, and survival phrases. It also helps if you simply want to know what to say when chatting in Farsi!
Most of the sentences below are used for everyday life conversations, so they might come handy if you memorize them.
- Anvari.org - Common Phrases
- IranTravel.biz - English-Persian Iran Travel Phrasebook
- DigitalDialects - Language Learning Games
- FieldSupport - Language Survival Kits
- WikiTravel - A Phrasebook
- Farsi.free.fr - Thematic Vocabulary (on the left)
- MasterAnyLanguage - Flashcards for learners of all levels
- Quizlet.com - Thousands of flashcards
- Cram.com - Thousands of flashcards
Farsi Reading Materials
- ThePaperBoy - A List Of Over 30 Newspapers
- AbyzNewsLinks - A List Of Newspapers
- ChildrensLibrary - A List Of 476 Books For Children
- FarsiJokes - Well, the title is self-explanatory!
- Wikipedia - Persian version of Wikipedia
- Google Translate
- Aspirantum -
The list of the most important Persian monolingual dictionaries (with pictures and descriptions):
Farsi Listening and Video Resources
PODCASTS / AUDIOBOOKS
- IranEnglishRadio - Downloadable List Of Podcasts in Farsi
- Chaiandconversation.com - “We provide free 15-20 minute podcast lessons, as well as affordable premium learning materials to help make learning easier.”
TV / VIDEO / MOVIES
- Rad.io - A List Of 10 Radio Stations
- IranEnglishRadio - “By Listening to our programmes, you will learn spoken Farsi, and will be able to communicate with all Farsi-speakers”
- AbyzNewsLinks - A List Of Radio Stations
- EasyPersian - Free Farsi Music Downloads