Sinhala language resources – Language Links Database
Sinhala – is an Indo-Aryan language primarily spoken by the Sinhalese people of Sri Lanka, who make up the largest ethnic group on the island, numbering about 16 million. Sinhala is also spoken as the first language by other ethnic groups in Sri Lanka, totaling about 4 million people as of 2001. It is written using the Sinhala script, which is one of the Brahmic scripts; a descendant of the ancient Indian Brahmi script closely related to the Kadamba script.
More information: Wikipedia
Native speakers: 17 million (2012)
Official language in: Sri Lanka
Sinhala Grammar and Pronunciation
- MyLanguages.org - free courses below about adjectives, adverbs, articles, gender (feminine, masculine…), negation, nouns, numbers, phrases, plural, prepositions, pronouns, questions, verbs, vocabulary, exercises… to help you with your Sinhala grammar.
- Wiki Books - alphabet and vocabulary
- Omniglot.com - alphabet, grammar & pronunciation
- Google Books - Sidath Sangarawa: "A Grammar of the Sinhalese Language" PDF
- Google Books - "A Grammar of the Sinhalese Language" PDF
- 17 Minute Languages - Sinhalese alphabet
Sinhala Reading Materials
- https://www.lankadeepa.lk/ - a newspaper online
- http://www.lankaenews.com/Sinhala/ - a newspaper online
- http://www.sinhala24news.com/2/ - a newspaper online
Sinhala Listening and Video Resources
TV / Video / Movies
- Learn Sinhala Podcast - a podcast
- Dilshan Jayasinha - YT Channel
- Streema.com - List of TV stations online
- Educational World - YT Channel - “list of 600 most common expressions and words. This is a crash course in Sinhalese”
- 101 Languages - Top 30 Sinhala Radio Stations
If you want to help with expanding this list of resources, please send me your suggestions here.