Thai language resources – Language Links Database
The Thai Language - Thai, Central Thai (historically Siamese; Thai: ภาษาไทย), is the official language of Thailand and the first language of the Central Thai people. It is a member of the Tai group of the Kra–Dai language family, and one of over 60 languages of Thailand. Over half of Thai vocabulary is derived from or borrowed from Pali, Sanskrit, Mon and Old Khmer. It is a tonal and analytic language, similar to Chinese and Vietnamese.
Native speakers: 20 to 36 million (2000) 44 million L2 speakers with Lanna, Isan, Southern Thai, Northern Khmer and Lao (2001)
Official language in: Thailand, Asean
Thai Grammar & Vocabulary
- LearnWithOliver - Thai audio flashcard system
- Forvo - Collection of Thai words pronounced by native speakers
- Memrise - Spaced repetition site and app for learning Thai vocabulary
- Omniglot - Basic overview of Thai with alphabet and useful links
- Lingo Ninja - "The largest Thai Grammar Resource on the internet"
Digitized Thai Grammar Books
- Thai: An Essential Grammar
- Academia.edu - Thai for Beginners: Jacob de Groot
- A reference grammar of Thai: S. Iwasaki, P. Ingkaphirom, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2005, vii + 392 pp.
- https://www.lingo-ninja.com/en/th/dict - Thai Words/Consonants/Vowels Dictionary
Thai Listening and Video Resources
- Podcasts for Beginners
- All Top 300 Thai Words Lessons
- For Non-Thai Speakers Who Are Travelling To Thailand